Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

* Answers to registration questions are: Alternating Current (AC) inventor is "Nicolas Tesla", The unlincensed frequency ranges are "2.4 and 5.8 GHz", and internal bleeding procedure is "Lavage".

* Requests are not permitted in the Shoutbox. Also, requests will be ignored if you have less than 10 useful posts.
@  moha : (11 October 2014 - 11:41 AM) http://ezproxy.catsboard.com/
@  ducthanh206 : (24 September 2014 - 01:44 PM) can you give the solution of microelectronics circuit analysis and design 4th edition
@  barr : (23 September 2014 - 09:52 AM) hi there
@  moha : (07 August 2014 - 07:16 AM) Hello :D
@  Oldschool : (04 August 2014 - 12:05 PM) Hi guys :)
@  dhampu : (29 June 2014 - 02:07 AM) B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:
@  moha : (25 May 2014 - 05:40 PM) :)
@  Oldschool : (20 May 2014 - 08:22 AM) :(
@  dhampu : (11 May 2014 - 10:19 AM) No body is active here
@  dhampu : (11 May 2014 - 10:19 AM) I think we should close this forum now, interested can join http://passfans.net/forum.php
@  Techfios : (30 March 2014 - 07:10 PM) Anyone is here ?
@  Techfios : (30 March 2014 - 07:09 PM) I need Principles of Electronic Communication Systems,3E by Louis frenzel
@  moha : (23 March 2014 - 11:21 AM) Hi Dhampu and Oldschool :)  :D  :P
@  Oldschool : (19 March 2014 - 10:44 AM) I know but is he acive there too?
@  dhampu : (19 March 2014 - 03:59 AM) http://passfans.net/forum.php
@  Oldschool : (18 March 2014 - 12:12 PM) Is it Strider's site???
@  dhampu : (13 March 2014 - 04:04 AM) http://passfans.net/forum.php
@  dhampu : (13 March 2014 - 04:03 AM) Please visit http://passfans.net/forum.php
@  dhampu : (13 March 2014 - 04:03 AM) No body seems to be active here now
@  Oldschool : (12 March 2014 - 06:30 PM) Hi Dhampu and Moha  :) !!!

Photo
- - - - -

how to install NS2 on Windows platform (windows 2000 or windows XP)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Strider

Strider

Looking...

• Chancellor
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:59 AM

Windows + Cygwin + NS2

This document will show you how to install NS2 on Windows platform (windows 2000 or windows XP). The NS2 version for this document is ns-2.27. If you want to use ns-2.28, it is ok. The steps are similar.

[Cygwin]

1. Download the software from here. Decompress the rar file. You will see a setup.exe. Click this file. It will be like the following figure.

Posted Image

1. Because the language of operating system is Traditional Chinese. The text of button is shown in Chinese. But you don't need to worry about this. I think it is shown in English in your computer. Just click "Next".

Posted Image

2. Then choose "Install from Local Directory"

Posted Image

3. Click "Next".

Posted Image

(Just keep the settings as they are.)

4. Click "Next"

Posted Image

5. Click "Browse" to choose where the software is. (Please choose "ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.nctu.edu.tw%2fWindows%2fcygwin")

Posted Image

6. Click "OK".

Posted Image

7. Click "Next" and you will see the figure shown as follows. In this window, the cygwin setup program let you choose what software you want to install.

Posted Image

8. Click "View" first to make the word "Category "change to "Full".

Posted Image

9. XFree86-base, XFree86-bin, XFree86-prog, XFree86-lib, XFree86-etc, make, patch, perl, gcc, gcc-g++, gawk, gnuplot, tar and gzip must be chosen. For example, if I want to install XFree-86 base (upper figure), click the "Skip" of "New" column. The "Skip" will be changed to "4.3.0-1" (lower figure).

Posted Image

Posted Image

10. Click "Next".

Posted Image

(Please be patient. It may take a long time to finish the installation.)

11. When setup is done, it will be shown as following figure. Click "Finish".

Posted Image

12. Click "OK" to finish the cygwin setup program.

Posted Image

[NS2 setup]

1. Click the icon on the desktop.

Posted Image

2. For the first time execution, it will generate some environment parameter setting files. In this example, smallko is my login name to windows system. Therefore, the cygwin will create a folder named "smallko" under home directory. (The actual path for smallko folder is: c:\cygwin\home\smallko) It should be noticed that the login name can not have any space in your name. For example, "A B" may cause errors when you install NS2. (smallko-hpds is my computer name)

Posted Image

3. Please copy ns-allinone-2.27.tar.gz into your director. In this example, I copy this file to c:\cygwin\home\smallko. Then decompress the compressed file. Use the command "tar xvfz ns-allinone-2.27.tar.gz".

Posted Image

4. When the decompression is finished, it will be shown as follows.

Posted Image

5. Begin to install ns-allinone-2.27. Change path to the ns-allinone-2.27 by typing "cd ns-allinone-2.27". Then type "./install".

Posted Image

Posted Image

6. Please type "y" to continue.

Posted Image

7. When it is finished, it is shown as follows.

Posted Image

8. But before you start running NS2 simulation, you should set the path first. I have prepared one file for it. Just copy the ".bashrc" to replace the one under your home directory. (In this example, I copy .bashrc to c:\cygwin\home\smallko)

[Testing]

1. To initial graphical mode. ( type "startxwin.bat")

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. Run the example tcl script. (Change to ~/ns-allinone-2.27/ns-2.27/ns-tutorial/examples. Then run the command "ns example2.tcl)

Posted ImagePosted Image

3. If you can see the following figures, congratulations. You have successfully install cygwin + ns-2.27 under windows platform.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Source:
Author : Chih-Heng, Ke

Email: smallko@ee.ncku.edu.tw

Phd candidate, EE Department, NCKU, Taiwan
"Life journey is like a long road with check points, each big achievement you make gives you a save-point where you can start from when you fail"

#2 Strider

Strider

Looking...

• Chancellor
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

I had also attached a pdf version of the manual to install ns2 on windows XP
Attached File  ns229.pdf   495.54K   38 downloads
"Life journey is like a long road with check points, each big achievement you make gives you a save-point where you can start from when you fail"

#3 feedback

feedback

Link Checker Bot

• Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

3ala rasi wallah mr. strider